miércoles, 16 de mayo de 2012

Direct and indirect questions


Form and meaning

  1. If we do not begin a question directly, but begin it with something like Can you tell me...? / Do you know...? / I wonder if...? the word order is the same as in an affirmative statement.
    • Direct question: What is he doing?
      Indirect question: Do you know what he is doing?
    • Direct question: Where have they been?
      Indirect question: I wonder where they have been?
  2. If the direct question contains the auxiliary do, we omit it in the indirect question.
    • Direct question: What do you want?
      Indirect question: Can you tell me what you want?
    • Direct question: When did she leave?
      Indirect question: Do you know when she left?
  3. In yes / no questions, we use if or whether. The word order is the same as in reported questions.
    • Direct question: Have you seen my dog?
      Indirect question: Could you tell me if you have seen my dog?


Extracted from here



  1. Exercises here
  2. Listen to this explanation. You als have the transcript, a grammar explanation and exercises
  3. Watch the flatmates episode on indirect questions and have a look at the grammar explanation and quiz.




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario